About Motlow State
Motlow State Community College
P.O. Box 8500
Lynchburg, TN 37352-8500
M.S.C.C. Statement of Mission
Motlow State Community College is a public, multi-campus college offering certificates, associate degrees, and flexible learning pathways for early transfer, college preparation, and workforce training. Students are prepared for employment, career advancement, and four-year college or university transfer. The College serves an eleven- county area comprised of full-time, part-time, traditional, and non-traditional age students from diverse socio-economic populations with disparate educational and cultural backgrounds. The College offers high quality accredited educational programs and a variety of support services emphasizing and promoting student success.
Motlow State Community College, an institution governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents in the State University and Community College System of Tennessee, is a public, comprehensive, two-year, open-access college founded in 1969. The college awards the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Science in Teaching degrees and certificates of credit.
Motlow State strives to develop the cultural, intellectual, and career opportunities of the people in its Southern Middle Tennessee eleven-county service area, which includes Bedford, Cannon, Coffee, DeKalb, Franklin, Lincoln, Moore, Rutherford, Van Buren, Warren and White Counties. The college is committed to achieving a diverse student body, faculty, and staff. The college recognizes the significance of this diversity by providing a broad spectrum of services to respond to a variety of needs in the learning process and educational opportunities from developmental to advanced programs.
Motlow State is a multi-location community college providing:
- degree programs designed for transfer to other colleges and universities;
- degree and non-degree programs designed to develop immediate job readiness skills and competencies; and
- public service, lifelong learning, and workforce development programs to promote personal enrichment and economic and community development.
To establish a firm foundation for liberal learning, the college requires a strong core curriculum in degree programs complemented by cultural, scientific, social, and community service activities. In particular, Motlow State is unique in that it provides a comprehensive, interdisciplinary Honors Scholar Program integrated with a strong cultural series. The versatile curriculum, qualified faculty and staff, and related resources, strengthened by innovative technologies, prepare students for success in the global community. To support these initiatives, a continuous cycle of planning, evaluation, and response promotes institutional effectiveness and efficiency.
Motlow State encourages student success through critical thinking, clear communication, ethical behavior, respect for others, civic responsibility, problem solving, effective functioning in individual and team situations, and an appreciation of one's own heritage as well as that of others. Motlow State promotes and maintains alliances with business, industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions to enhance programs and services.
As a dynamic institution of higher learning, Motlow State enriches and empowers its students and the community it serves. Motlow State Community College remains committed to the education of a non-racially identifiable student body and promotes diversity and access without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
To be the area's recognized center for life-long learning and growth opportunities.
- Motlow State is committed to student learning as our primary focus.
- Motlow State is committed to excellence, creativity, trust, respect, diversity, teamwork, integrity, knowledge, honesty, civility, and the free exchange of ideas.
- Motlow State is committed to continuous improvement, institutional effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Motlow State is committed to our stakeholders and to the total development of individuals and their quality of life; we strive to enhance student competencies and to further the cultural development of our service area.